The POISSON function is one of the statistical functions. It is used to return the Poisson distribution.
The POISSON function syntax is:
POISSON(x, mean, cumulative-flag)
x is the number of events, a numeric value greater than 0.
mean is the expected numeric value greater than 0.
cumulative-flag is the form of the function, a logical value: TRUE or FALSE. If cumulative-flag is TRUE, the function will return the cumulative Poisson probability; if FALSE, it will return the Poisson probability mass function.
The values can be entered manually or included into the cell you make reference to.
To apply the POISSON function,
- select the cell where you wish to display the result,
- click the Insert function icon situated at the top toolbar,
or right-click within a selected cell and select the Insert Function option from the menu,
or click the icon situated at the formula bar,
- select the Statistical function group from the list,
- click the POISSON function,
- enter the required arguments separating them by commas,
- press the Enter button.
The result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Return to previous page