The NORMINV function is one of the statistical functions. It is used to return the inverse of the normal cumulative distribution for the specified mean and standard deviation.
The NORMINV function syntax is:
NORMINV(x, mean, standard-deviation)
x is the probability corresponding to the normal distribution, any numeric value greater than or equal to 0, but less than or equal to 1.
mean is the arithmetic mean of the distribution, any numeric value.
standard-deviation is the standard deviation of the distribution, a numeric value greater than 0.
The numeric values can be entered manually or included into the cells you make reference to.
To apply the NORMINV function,
- select the cell where you wish to display the result,
- click the Insert Function icon situated at the top toolbar,
or right-click within a selected cell and select the Insert Function option from the menu,
or click the icon situated at the formula bar,
- select the Statistical function group from the list,
- click the NORMINV function,
- enter the required arguments separating them by commas,
- press the Enter button.
The result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Return to previous page