Change number format
You can easily change the number format, i.e. the way the numbers you enter appear in your spreadsheet. To do that,
Return to previous page
- select a cell, a range of cells with the mouse or the whole worksheet by pressing the Ctrl+A key combination,
Note: you can also select multiple non-adjacent cells or cell ranges holding down the Ctrl key while selecting cells/ranges with the mouse.
- click the General Format button situated at the top toolbar and select the number format you wish to apply:
- General - is used to display the data you enter as plain numbers in the most compact way without any additional signs,
- Number - is used to display the numbers with 0-30 digits after the decimal point where a thousand separator is added between each group of three digits before the decimal point,
- Integer - is used to display the numbers as an integer,
- Scientific (exponential) - is used to keep short the numbers converting in a string of type d.dddE+ddd or d.dddE-ddd where each d is a digit 0 to 9,
- Accounting - is used to display monetary values with one of the following currency symbols: $ Dollar, € Euro, £ Pound, p. Rouble, ¥ Yen, and two decimal places. Unlike the Currency format, the Accounting format aligns currency symbols by the left side of the cell, represents zero values as dashes and displays negative values in parentheses.
Note: to quickly apply the Accounting format to the selected data, you can also click the Accounting Style icon at the top toolbar and select the necessary currency symbol.
- Currency - is used to display monetary values with one of the following currency symbols: $ Dollar, € Euro, £ Pound, p. Rouble, ¥ Yen, and two decimal places. Unlike the Accounting format, the Currency format places a currency symbol directly before the first digit and displays negative values with the negative sign (-).
- Date - is used to display dates. You can select one of the following date formats: MM-dd-yy, MM-dd-yyyy, dd-MM-yy, dd-MM-yyyy, dd-MMM-yyyy, dd-MMM, MMM-yy,
- Time - is used to display time. You can select one of the following time formats: HH:mm, HH:MM:ss, hh:mm tt, hh:mm:ss tt, [h]:mm:ss,
- Persentage - is used to display the data as a percentage accompanied by a percent sign %,
Note: to quickly apply the percent style to your data you can also use the Percent Style icon at the top toolbar.
- Fraction - is used to display the numbers as common fractions rather than decimals.
- Text - is used to display the numeric values as a plain text with as much precision as available.
- change the number of decimal places, if needed:
- use the Increase Decimal icon situated at the top toolbar to display more digits after the decimal point,
- use the Decrease Decimal icon situated at the top toolbar to display fewer digits after the decimal point.