The COMPLEX function is one of the engineering functions. It is used to convert a real part and an imaginary part into the complex number expressed in a + bi or a + bj form.
The COMPLEX function syntax is:
COMPLEX(real-number, imaginary-number [, suffix])
real-number is the real part of the complex number.
imaginary-number is the imaginary part of the complex number.
suffix is an indicator of the imaginary part of the complex number. It can be either "i" or "j" in lowercase. It is an optional argument. If it is omitted, the function will assume suffix to be "i".
The values can be entered manually or included into the cell you make reference to.
To apply the COMPLEX function,
- select the cell where you wish to display the result,
- click the Insert function icon situated at the top toolbar,
or right-click within a selected cell and select the Insert Function option from the menu,
or click the icon situated at the formula bar,
- select the Engineering function group from the list,
- click the COMPLEX function,
- enter the required arguments separating them by commas,
- press the Enter button.
The result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Return to previous page