The COLUMN function is one of the lookup and reference functions. It is used to return the column number of a cell.
The COLUMN function syntax is:
where reference is a reference to a cell.
Note: reference is an optional argument. If it is omitted, the function will return the column number of a cell selected to display the Column function result.
To apply the COLUMN function,
- select the cell where you wish to display the result,
- click the Insert Function icon situated at the top toolbar,
or right-click within a selected cell and select the Insert Function option from the menu,
or click the icon situated at the formula bar,
- select the Lookup and Reference function group from the list,
- click the COLUMN function,
- enter the required argument,
- press the Enter button.
The result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Return to previous page