Talk is an instant messenger that provides a real-time communication between the co-workers. It offers all the traditional features you expect from a messenger: choice of status, history archiving, file transfer, multi-user chat support, search function, emoticons.
As a collaborative tool Talk helps to work together easier and achieve common goals. For an effective collaboration in addition to the basic functionality Talk offers the following features:
- mailing list to send a message to many people at once,
- chat room to create the conference in real time,
- notifications to provide you with information about every change at your portal.
To access Talk just click the icon available at the top of each portal page.
Using instant messenger
There are two ways to use Talk:
Use it as a web client
Talk can be accessed right from the portal. To start talking, just click the icon available at anytime at the top of the page. The Talk window opens in a new tab. The messenger interface is divided into two sections: contact list formed by the users of your portal organized in groups to the right, chat window to the left .
You may also use the mini Chat. Mini Chat is a compact version of Talk, you can access it from any portal module as well as from the Settings, Feed pages and from your profile page. To open a mini version of Talk click the icon available in the left lower corner. After you click the icon you'll see a small window with the names of the users. If you click the name of a user a dialog window will open in the right lower corner of the page.
If you want to hide the mini Chat, click the icon.
Integrate it with a third-party client
As an option, you may integrate Talk with any third-party desktop/mobile IM client that supports Jabber/XMPP. A new Talk account will be added to your messenger and you'll be able to manage it in the way you are used to.
Select the messenger you use from the list below to read the detailed integration instructions.
Exchanging instant text messages
To start using Talk and chat with your colleagues instantly:
- click the icon at the top of the page,
- select the user you wish to talk,
The Talk contact list is formed by the users of the portal divided into groups. It is automatically updated as users are added or removed.
If the contact list is very long, you can hide offline users and view the online users only. To do that, click the Show/Hide offline contacts button above the contact list. To facilitate the search of your interlocutor enable the filter clicking the Enable/Disable filter button above the contact list and type in the name of the needed user.
- type in your message,
If you need to send a file click the Send File button below the Talk main area. Select the file you need and click the Open button. The file will be sent.
- click the Send button.
You can choose either to use Ctrl+Enter or Enter to send messages. To choose one of the two available sending options use the button located under the message window.
If you don't want to receive the pop-up notifications about the newly received messages in your browser use the Turn browser notifications of/on button. Use the same button to activate the pop-up notifications.
The functionality of mini Chat is limited in comparison with Talk.
Using mini Chat you can:
- send a message to a single user,
By default, you need to press Enter key to send a message, but you can change the key combination in the 'Options' menu.
To send a message using the online office mini Chat:
- click the icon,
- find the name of a user in the list or introduce it in the search field, then click it to open the dialog window,
You can open as many dialog windows as you want.
- enter your message in the corresponding field,
- press the Enter key.
- change your status,
There are four of them: Online, Away, Not available, Offline. To change your status just click the arrow next to the current status and choose the needed one.
- open the main Talk window.
To do that click the icon.
Using the Options icon in the lower right corner of the mini Chat window you can change its settings and also perform several operations. After you click the 'Options' icon the window with the available options will appear.
Here are the options:
- Enable sounds - check this option to receive sound notifications about the new messages,
- Use Ctrl+Enter to send messages - check this option to change the default key combination used to send messages,
- Minimize all windows when out of focus - check this option if you want to collapse the Chat windows when you perform other portal activity,
- Minimize/Expand all mini-chat windows - use this option to collapse or expand all mini-chat windows,
- Close all mini-chat windows - use this option to close all mini-chat windows.
The Minimize/Expand all mini-chat windows and Close all mini-chat windows options are available when at least one chat window is opened.
Receiving portal notifications
Portal notifications are made to provide you with information about every change at your portal as well as remind you of some event. By default the notifications are received by email and Talk.
To change the notification type,
- click the link with your name at the very top,
- select the Profile option from the list,
- go to the Subscriptions section,
- click the Show link next to the Subscriptions,
- change the notification type of the needed subscription clicking the black arrow next to the currently chosen option and selecting Email, Talk or Email & Talk.
If you no longer want to receive notifications, you can unsubscribe from them clicking the corresponding link. For more details please refer to our Tips and Tricks section.