The INDIRECT function is one of the lookup and reference functions. It is used to return the reference to a cell based on its string representation.
The INDIRECT function syntax is:
INDIRECT(ref-text [, A1-ref-style-flag])
ref-text is a text representation of a cell.
A1-ref-style-flag is a representation style. It is an optional logical value: TRUE or FALSE. If it is set to TRUE or omitted, the function will analyse ref-text as an A1-style reference. If FALSE, the function will interpret ref-text as an R1C1-style reference.
To apply the INDIRECT function,
- select the cell where you wish to display the result,
- click the Insert Function icon situated at the top toolbar,
or right-click within a selected cell and select the Insert Function option from the menu,
or click the icon situated at the formula bar,
- select the Lookup and Reference function group from the list,
- click the INDIRECT function,
- enter the required arguments separating them by comma,
- press the Enter button.
The result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Return to previous page