The EDATE function is one of the date and time functions. It is used to return the serial number of the date which comes the indicated number of months (month-offset) before or after the specified date (start-date).
The EDATE function syntax is:
start-date is a number representing the first date of the period entered using the Date function or other date and time function.
month-offset is a number of months before or after start-day. If the month-offset has the negative sign, the function will return the serial number of the date which comes before the specified start-date. If the month-offset has the positive sign, the function will return the serial number of the date which follows after the specified start-date.
To apply the EDATE function,
- select the cell where you wish to display the result,
- click the Insert function icon situated at the top toolbar,
or right-click within a selected cell and select the Insert Function option from the menu,
or click the icon situated at the formula bar,
- select the Date and time function group from the list,
- click the EDATE function,
- enter the required arguments separating them by commas,
- press the Enter button.
The result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Return to previous page